Who we are
Our story begins at the end of 2017 when a video starring an injured turtle having a plastic straw removed from its nose caught the attention of the world…….
We run a couple of café/restaurants in Bude, Cornwall and are very environmentally conscious, working closely with A Greener Bude and Bude Cleaner Seas. We were struggling to find good turtle-friendly straws for our milkshakes, so being the business genius’s that we are created a solution to our problem – we manufactured our own and The Happy Turtle Co was born!
Fastforward to today and it turns out there is a gap in the market and a need for a whole range of hospitality products that don’t harm the oceans that we all love oh so much, and our range is expanding faster than we ever dreamed possible!
Why We Do It
- 60-80% of marine debris is plastic
- In 2016, 1 dead turtle was found with over 1000 pieces of plastic in its stomach
- 86% of ALL turtle species are negatively affected by plastic
- Plastic straws create pollution at every stage of their existence; manufacturing, use and disposal
- Every piece of plastic EVER produced still exists
- If things carry on the way they are, scientists predict by 2050 there will be more PLASTIC than FISH in the oceans